Compilation and gap analysis of ecosystem information for the Cassiar cumulative impacts assessment area
Project Reference Number: 2012-08
Project Status: Complete
Led by: Adrian de Groot, Drosera Ecological Consulting; Allen Banner, ConsultantJim Pojar, Consultant
Funder: Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
The objectives of this project are:
1. Compile existing ecosystem plot data for the Cassiar and Nass TSAs
- Compile a VPro plot database of all existing ecosystem full plot data for the study area.
- Compile a SIVI plot database of ground call and field visit information.
- Locate additional data sources from literature, government agencies, and industry sources.
- Enter new ecological data into VPro and SIVI plot databases
- Evaluate data quality of all VPRO plots
- Clean and harmonize VPRO plot data to standards
- Compile and link plot and site photos to VPro plot records where possible.
2. Classify existing plot data for BGCs occurring within the Cassiar and Nass TSAs
- Assign ecosystem plot data to existing BGC version 8 subzone/variants
- Add unassigned plot data to existing site series where classifications currently exist.
- Create draft classifications from existing plot data and other information where current BGC and/or site unit classifications do not exist.
3. Create a GIS project of existing spatial ecological information
- Ecosystem plot locations
- Overflight routes, waypoint, notes, and pictures
- Other relevant point sample information
4. Gap analysis
- Summary of plot data requirements to fill data gaps by BGC and site unit
- Draft an itemized and prioritized work plan to fill BEC information, mapping, and data gaps.
5. Rationale for completion of a ecological classification and inventory for the Cassiar
- Identified applications of BEC classification and ecological inventory (PEM)
- Specific applications of BEC and PEM in cumulative impacts assessment
- Describe additional non-BEC information and resource requirements for effective application of PEM product to a Cassiar cumulative impacts assessment
|Publication Date||Report Title||Authors|
|April 4, 2013||Ecosystem Classification Rationale and Gap Analysis Component of the Northwest Cumulative Effects Demonstration Pilot Project||Adrian de Groot, Allen Banner and Jim Pojar|