Preliminary Whitebark Pine Mapping and Population Restoration Plan
Project Reference Number: 2013-04
Project Status: Complete
Led by: Alana Clason, Adjunct Researcher, Bulkley Valley Research Centre
Funder: Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources Operations
The project will accomplish the following:
- Map Pinus albicaulis (Pa) locations within the Omineca based on existing PEM mapping, aspect, elevation, fire history, and tree species as well as the predicted species range maps created by T. Wang (University of British Columbia, unpublished model using the IS92a CGCM1 GAX future climate scenario (Flato et al. 2000). Classify location polygons as known, suspected, suitable, and predicted future range. Include in the attribute table available information on species mix, an indication of Pa abundance, stand and Pa seral stage, and site index.
- Create a 10 year tactical plan for restoration of Pa populations that addresses, at a minimum, all of the following:
- Refinement of Pa location mapping.
- Refinement of habitat suitability mapping.
- Identification of rust resistant trees and development of rust resistant populations.
- Seed acquisition and treatment.
- Seedling production for planting.
- A description of treatments that might be used to restore Pa populations using the template provided under Treatment Options in the Vanderhoof Ecosystem Restoration (ER) Strategic Plan (i.e. include a description treatment technique, associated vulnerability, desired future condition, and treatment rationale). Examples of treatments that might be considered include: prescribed fire to prepare a site for planting, prescribed burning in stands with high fuel loading adjacent to high value Pa stands, planting using a mix of species in locations considered to be suitable but currently containing little or no Pa, brushing/thinning/pruning naturally stocked Pa stands to reduce competition and remove stems/branches infected with blister rust).
- Monitoring needs.
- A tabular summary of operational activities foreseen in the next 10 years including timeline, magnitude, geographic locations if applicable, and potential costs.
- Identification of potential partners and stakeholders, their contact information, and their interest in Pa.
- A summary of knowledge gaps and recommendations on how to address them.